Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cracks in walls?

In article ,
R D S wrote:
When it was freezing cold over winter I noted that our back doors were
catching, but they've since sorted themselves out. I'm aware that's not
unusual.

Recently I've noticed a crack in some plaster above the bathroom window,
similar above a bedroom door and there's a small gap between the wall
and the some of the skirting on the stairs. Only a mm or two but there's
definitely things shifting.

I'm hoping it's climate or coincidence but we had a downstairs wall out*
a couple of years ago and it's making me paranoid!

Talk to me about your cracks and hopefully put my mind at rest.

*Load bearing wall, 2 rooms into one done by a builder and a concrete
lintel put in that's sitting on one skin of brick of the internal wall.

If they've used modern mortar on an old house built with lime, expect some
cracks as it can't move in the same way as lime. But not something to
worry about unduly, unless the cracks become large. And this very dry
spring can cause more movement than normal in an old house.

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.