Posted to rec.woodworking
Class Act Rain Gutters Class Act Rain Gutters is offline

Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 6:28:27 AM UTC-6, Chuck wrote:
Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.

Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.