Posted to rec.woodworking

Default old cars, rusty cars ... was what's the opposite of "Obtainium"?

on Wed, 28 Apr 2021 13:13:43 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

The Japanese had just followed the smart ideas coming out of the
US ... to bad American car companies hadn't adopted them.

Well yeah, because those ideas never work in the US. I went through
an example of that at a PPOE. The management jumped on the "Toyota
Production System" and gave all kinds of trainings and started using
words like "Kanban" and "Gemba". They even got an award for it (a US
based award named after a Japanese who don't get no respect in Japan).
I finally gave up on the company's training and started reading up on
the Toyota Production System from the people who actually created and
ran it. Well, what we were doing wasn't anything like the Toyota
Production System. And after a few years in which their
"improvements" didn't improve anything they jumped on the next flashy
thing that some consultand dangled in front of them and then pretended
to implement that.

ISO9001
Zero Defect
PPM
rinse repeat

I got an assignment as The Stocker. I was to go round the floor,
pick up the empty parts bins, refill them and take them back. The
idea being that the guys on the floor would not have to go looking for
parts {nuts, bolts, flanges, decals, etc}. "Lean Manufacturing /
Five5. But I got let go after two days [remember, temp agency], then
called back, and even offered to let me come in an hour later. First
time I ever got "recruited".
Seems there had been a great deal of outrage on the floor "we
finally get someone who 'gets it' and you got ride of him!" Yeah me.
Then someone in manglement got the Brilliant Idea to have the
suppliers stock their part of the supply room. Fair enough. But then
came the idea that those bins needed to be consolidated elsewhere to
make restocking easier. Excellent idea! Lets have me check _three_
places for parts!
"And then they came up short in the orders, either bad scheduling
or lack of sale, what ever." and that was the end of that assignment.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.