Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.d-i-y
#Paul #Paul is offline

Default Decent replacement phone battery supplier?

Chris in Makati wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 20:07:14 +0100,
(#Paul) wrote:

alan_m wrote:
I've found the opposite with two phones and one camera. Replacement
batteries (always described as genuine) have failed within 3 months.

My experience is that if a battery is called "genuine", you have
to check very carefully to see that it is also described as
"new"/"unused" (which it is probably not).

The problem is what defines whether a battery is "genuine"?

Phone manufacturers source their batteries from various third-party
suppliers. Each of those suppliers probably sell their batteries via
different channels to any number of other customers.

So is a battery still "genuine" if it came from the same
factory, but didn't have a particular label on it?

That wasn't really my point, but a phone manufacturer might e.g. specify
stringent quality control checks on batteries it sources. This still
leaves the factory able to sells good-but-not-good-enough batteries off
as "compatible"; so a battery from the same factory might (or might not)
be the same in all respects as a "genuine" one.

My point about "genuine" as a sales-tag was that it seems often
to be used mainly to distract a buyer from the fact (or possibility)
that whilst the battery might be genuine, it was also used/
second-hand/ failed, or otherwise not what the buyer is *actually*
looking for.

#Paul