Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Car battery volt drop

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 07:30:56 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 26/04/2021 19:56, ARW wrote:
On 25/04/2021 19:09, alan_m wrote:

Immobiliser? Radio memory? I'm sure the makers of expensive cars
would do everything they could to reduce quiescent load.

I really don't see an answer to it with modern cars. And I'm sure
many very clever engineers have given it much thought.

All data could be stored in non-volatile memory requiring no power to
maintain it when the cars ignition is turned off, or key/fob removed.

I guess the biggest user of standby power on a car is remote locking
and the alarm.

Depends if you are a dick like me:-)

I left the dashcam in the car plugged in for three weeks and flattened
the battery [1].

The car's "cig lighter" socket is always on unlike the works van.

[1] Just enough so that it did not have enough juice to start the car.
Diesel on a cold morning etc.

On my car all power to the USB and 12V socket (cigarette lighter socket)
goes off approx 10 minutes after the key is removed from the ignition.

I've actually wired the dashcam to an 'always on' circuit. It will record
it it detects a knock, etc.

I don't normally leave the car for more than a few days. When I did (last
year) I had the dashcam out anyway.