Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Wheelbarrow

On 26 Apr 2021 19:51:01 GMT, David wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 07:59:30 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 12:02:22 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 22:46:40 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

On strut thickness, steel is expensive in the UK these days, have you
bought any lately? And they are mostly made in Britain.

This is something I've often come across when trying to replace
something old / good with something new / good, they really are made
down to a price these days (even if the price we might be wiling to pay
isn't an issue).

When I took the (fairly old, conventional flue) tumble dryer to bits
the other day, everything undid ok, there wasn't a spec of rust on any
of the (substantial) steelwork, no stripped threads, wonkey screws,
corroded wires / connectors and even the plastic didn't snap, all well
designed etc.

Depending on how bad the overall structural condition of this barrow is
(albeit rusting away in places) and given what you might have to spend,
*if* you could find something anywhere near equivalent, in the spirit
of DIY I might be interested to see if it could be recovered using
fiberglass bandage?

snip
Thanks for the suggestions, but such a repair wouldnt withstand the
forces applied. There's very little metal left in some places and
fibregalass wouldn't take the twisting etc.

Have you looked for a local blacksmith?

Our local forge will fix/fabricate almost anything, and very reasonable
priced.

Cheers

Dave R

Be too expensive. Nearest one is about 4.5 miles away, so would need
collection and delivery. The amount of work is another factor and even then
there'd still be a wobbly wheel unless I could wrap something round the
axle.
Ah, quick search, no longer there and no results.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away