Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Hedghog Highways, fencer failed to make

On 25/04/2021 12:50, alan_m wrote:
On 25/04/2021 12:33, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
OK I need some suggestions. I asked the person building my new fence
to make
a couple of hedgehog highways in the base, but he forgot, and I could not
see this till somebody sighted came around. He says now its too late
as the
concrete Gravel boards are now cemented in, even though the fence
panels can
of course be pulled out. So Should I try to dig littleĀ* tunnels under the
concrete about 6 inches deep and line them with something to create them?

That is exactly what the foxes have done around my way to get to the
various gardens even though they can also jump from shed to shed roofs
and use compost daleks as a step.

Personally I would bother lining them.

+1

Foxes dug a hole under the fence twixt me an neighbour so that they
could knock the peanut feeder stand over, but has also been seen
jumping/scrambling over 6 foot panel fences.

Hedgehogs are quite good at climbing, as has been shown on TV
programs about hedgehog highways so making a hole in the panel
above the gravel board would do. Just add a housebrick each side
as a stepping stone ifyou want to help.