Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spank!

On 24/04/2021 19:25, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 01:21:50 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 22:13:14 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 08:19:55 +0100, #Paul
wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
You have to wonder how far we would be today if religion
had not impeded science.

You've pre-loaded the statement; since it is reasonable to believe
that at least in some cases religion has impeded science, is is only
natural to make the follow-on assumption that science would have been
further advanced. Well, unless the impediment was somehow such
that it
slowed science so as to avoid some sort of science based global
catastrophe; perhaps a nuclear war at a time when people were less
averse to mass slaughter and less aware of the global consequences.

A more neutral question might be somthing along the lines of:

Â* "You have to wonder whether religion has, overall, been a help
Â*Â* or hindrance to scientific advance."

A bit of both, in my opinion, and which is more dominant depends
a lot on how widely - or how far back - you cast your viewpoint.

Why are you concentrating on disasters?

He isnt.

I just mean that advances like satnav might have happened 20 years
earlier,

Don't buy that. Satellites had nothing to do with religion, it was
WW2 and the V2 and von Braun that produced that eventually.

and by now we could have been on mars.

Again, nothing to do with religion, that
was actually driven by the cold war.

Surely you must agree that people refusing to believe the earth goes
round
the sun for 100 years slowed down advances in physics?

No it didn't. The most it did was waste a lot of time trying
to explain what we saw with the movement of the planets.

Shutting up or even killing those who make discoveries simply has to
slow down science.

No discoveries are made in science.
Only ideas are suggested.

Heliocentrism is only a model. The church realised that, Galileo
insisted it was Real. He got punished for his arrogance.

Science is very much held back by the notion that a model in the mind is
a 'discovery' of a 'fact' in the 'One True World'.

This has reached peak idiocy with ClimateChange„¢ where models are now
held to be the real world altogether, and data is simply ignored or
adjusted to fit the models.

And the people doing the shutting up and the killing are in fact self
styled scientists.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)