Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chade Chade is offline

Default Sthil ms260 rebuild

On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 10:37:07 AM UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 16:45:50 -0700 (PDT), Chade
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 11:21:13 AM UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 13:48:55 -0700 (PDT), Chade
wrote:
Hi all

My sthil ms260 was starting fine but overheating and cutting out. My local garden machinery repair place told me it was because the piston/cylinder was scratched
Do you know how they knew that?

They said they had removed the muffler and so looked directly at the piston.

Ok. Did they give you it back complete and did you confirm the damage
when it was apart OOI?

and as this would probably have damaged the rod it was beyond economic repair.
'Probably'?

If you still have the old parts, can you feel any slack in the big end
bearing or gudgeon pin? If you hold the crankshaft still and the
conrod square to the crank, can you move the rod up and down at all
(in the same plane as the rod, not sideways or rock it etc)? If not
(and same with the piston to rod), you might not have needed a crank
if they don't come as one assembly (with piston etc) and maybe keep it
as a spare?

I will examine it and see. Thanks.

snip

Well done for saving another otherwise 'written off' tool (we have
saved others similarly by mixing and matching 'broken' kit).

I have two other chainsaws in the shed that are not running right one a bequest and one I was previously told was obsolete with parts unavailable. Yet When I inquired at the place that looked at the MS260 they swore they could still get them by ordering direct from Sthil.