Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default leaking quick-disconnect for faucet to garden house.

On 4/23/2021 11:27 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 23 Apr 2021 09:58:39 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 4/23/21 9:12 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 08:36:13 -0400, micky
wrote:

I bought a quick-disconnect from Home Depot, to connect a garden hose to
a kitchen faucet. (I can't find the exact model on their webpage)
It leaks like crazy. Is that normal?
Maybe 10% of the water when a lot is flowing, a higher percentabge when
the faucet isn't on much.
The connector seems to be in good condition, nothing missing or broken.
Is there a better quality connector that doesn't leak?
One one occasion, when I had the end of the hose closed or almost closed,
the hose along with its half of the connector came spurting off.
Is there a better quality connector that doesn't do that?

Something like this ?

https://tinyurl.com/4x926dk8

Yeah, that's it, although it didn't have a Moen name, and the white
plastic part is green. Mine says on it NSF-61-G Lead Free

Leaking from the threaded-on connection ? or

No.

leaking from the snap-together connection ? both ?

Yes, just where the pieces come together, coming out I think from the
circular crack between the plastic and the metal parts of the part on
the left. Also that means there's no place for a mispositioned
washer.

The washer that forms the seal is just beyond the release balls of the
release fitting. The black seal shows in the picture at
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/moe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The end of the male fitting should seat against that seal so that you
feel a slight springiness as you move the fittings together and apart
the last little bit. Water pressure causes the seal to press harder
against the male fitting end.

Take it back and get one that works.

When the two pieces are together, one wobbles within the other. And it
moves a full millimeter back and forth. It's not surprising that it
leaks. Maybe I should go shopping in person and find one that doesn't
wiggle.

John T.

I've got several of them and while easily swapping nozzles, sprinklers
is convenient- they do leak.

And mine do so from both the connection and the threads which like to
back out from being hand-tight. Leaking from the connection happens if
you apply lateral force to it. Sometimes crud gets into the connection
and makes leaking worse.

This is too new to have crud.

And it does make a mess. Yet several of the reviews above comment that
there is no leaking.