Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default well tank problem

On 4/22/2021 10:18 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I have a well that has an above ground pump. There is a bladder tank
that holds about 2 to 3 gallons of water. Lately I noticed the water
pressure cycling too much, like about 3 times in the time it takes to
fill a one gallon jug.

Checked the bladder tank and the pressure at the tank was about 60 psi.
Cut the well pump off and drained the pipes to the house. Then let air
out of the tank to the recommended 2 psi below the cut in pressure
switch to about 38 PSI. Worked better for a day or so. Then noticed
the short cycling again. Cut well pump off and drained water pipes.
The bladder tank was back up to almost 60 psi. I have done this several
time.

Just how is that bladder tank making air ? There does not seem to be
any water comming out of the air valve at the top of the tank that
normally the bladder keeps the water out of. Looks like I should be
getting water out of the valve if the bladder has a hole in it.

When you drained pipes, did you do it long enough to let air pressure
out of the water pipes also. You could have air getting into the system
before the pump and getting compressed into the water section of the
tank, displacing water from the tank.