Posted to alt.home.repair

Default well tank problem

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 10:54:42 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/23/2021 9:35 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

I only can think of one way this is possible. That would be if the bladder
has failed and there is a small leak in a suction line from the pump to the
well, if it's a conventional pump. Air can't be getting into a bladder that
is intact and with the tank drained, that's the only pressure you're
measuring. What happens if you slowly let all the air out of the bladder,
with some pressure still in it? If the bladder is intact, no water should
come out. Haven't tried that, but seems like a way to test for whether
the bladder is intact or not.

The bladder may have failed. That is the only way I can think of the
tank holding pressure with the water line open . I guess it could have
a small hole in it that is not letting much water in for now so it will
not have any water comming out of the air valve. It sure puzzles me as
to how I can let the air out to 38 psi and the next day it will be back
up to 60 psi, but no water comming out of the air valve.

I think I will replace the tank and hope that solves the problem. I
don't see any other way out.

Let us know how you make out. Over 2 years ago when I needed a new well
the well digger put in a new bigger tank which he said old tank was
failing but the plumber who first looked at my problem said pressure was
OK in the old tank. The old might have been 10 years old and that was
about all the lifetime I was getting from them.

You are lucky, I usually end up replacing them at around 5, just about
when the warranty is up. Funny how that works.

I did have the original, true bladder, tank (fiberglass vessel) that
came with the house and it lasted over 20 years. I tried to just find
another bladder but it was an exercise in futility. I still have the
tank.