Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim...[_2_] tim...[_2_] is offline

Default Electric vehicles

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 20/04/2021 18:08, Tim+ wrote:
nightjar wrote:
On 20/04/2021 13:40, Tim+ wrote:
ANPR cameras are already all over the country monitoring your
movements.
What additional privacy issues are you worried about?

Not me; the opponents of a road pricing system. Possibly because road
pricing would need an awful lot more of them.

Which is why a simple mileage based system would be so much easier.

We already have a simple mileage based system and one that, unlike a flat
distance rate, rewards those who use more efficient vehicles. It is called
Road Fuel Duty. All we need to do is extend it to electric vehicles too.

Having thought on the matter further, I realise that would be much easier
than I first thought. If all public charging points applied the tax at
point of sale, the way Road Fuel Duty is applied, the only problem would
be collecting the tax due when the vehicle is charged at home. ISTM that
could be solved with a very minor modification to the vehicle - the
addition of a short range transmitter that only operates when the vehicle
is connected to an outside supply. A linked receiver would detect it and
notify the house meter that a vehicle was connected.

The house meter should then be able to detect the change in use when the
vehicle is connected and disconnected and hence know what rate it was
charging at. This should work even if the vehicle is connected to 13A
socket, rather than a dedicated charging point. The tax can then be
collected through the electricity company. No need to track anybody and
all revenue collections are completely automatic.

but every one of the 29 million home in the UK has to have a new electric
meter, despite about a fifth of them not owing a car

and how would it work at all in an HMO, with a shared electric meter, but
only one resident having a car?

Or how would it work for people who charge up whilst a work - a use case
that's mooted for solving the problem of people not having a the possibility
of a charge point at home