Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Electric vehicles

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 17:18:34 +0100, nightjar
wrote:

On 20/04/2021 18:08, Tim+ wrote:
nightjar wrote:
On 20/04/2021 13:40, Tim+ wrote:
ANPR cameras are already all over the country monitoring your movements.
What additional privacy issues are you worried about?

Not me; the opponents of a road pricing system. Possibly because road
pricing would need an awful lot more of them.

Which is why a simple mileage based system would be so much easier.

We already have a simple mileage based system and one that, unlike a
flat distance rate, rewards those who use more efficient vehicles. It is
called Road Fuel Duty. All we need to do is extend it to electric
vehicles too.

Having thought on the matter further, I realise that would be much
easier than I first thought. If all public charging points applied the
tax at point of sale, the way Road Fuel Duty is applied, the only
problem would be collecting the tax due when the vehicle is charged at
home.

I've not followed this thread all the way, but why not simply have two
meters at home, one for the domestic stuff and the other for the car
charger? With 'smart' meters becoming widely used, that would be easy
enough to set up and be billed for by the supplier and paid by the
home owner in the usual way. Apologies if this has already been
suggested, but it seems to me to be a fairly simple solution.

It would be very easy to bypass teh2car meter" by plugging into a socket on
the house supply. Unless a special plug is fitted to the car's connector
and no other is available.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England