Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default Is 14V cordless sds drill ok for diy?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 02:08:42 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

On Wednesday, 21 April 2021 at 10:22:01 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I see that some cordless sds drills have massive 24V/36V, which makes
me wonder how a 14V model would cope with drilling holes through walls

I know this has been answered by purchase of a Titan.

I have a now very old Bosch 12V drill. And it has been absolutely fine in terms of power.

But if buying a drill today, I wouldn't be very tempted by a 14.4 V cordless. I think I'd either go for a very cheap one such as Aldi/Lidl. Or a decent 18V one. Or live with a mains drill.

(I do now have an 18V Makita so the choice would be "Which model Makita?" - but if you haven't got one, it is a high cost of entry.)

I'm definitely going to go for 18V Makita in future where frequently
used tools are concerned. Where the heavier duty SDS Drill Is
concerned I'm having difficulty coming up with 2 jobs for it right
now.
--

Mike