Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default Is 14V cordless sds drill ok for diy?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 01:07:30 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 21/04/2021 18:37, Andrew wrote:
On 21/04/2021 10:52, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 02:34:43 -0700 (PDT), Owain Lastname
wrote:

On Wednesday, 21 April 2021 at 10:22:01 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I see that some cordless sds drills have massive 24V/36V, which makes
me wonder how a 14V model would cope with drilling holes through walls

Depends on the size of the hole and the sharpness of the bit.

I've seen big Hilti cordless struggle getting a satellite cable
through a wall when my £50 Screwfie Special breezed through.

Owain

* It would initially be a hole big enough to get a couple of LAN cables
through. The quality of the bit factor I do understand.
I currently have a Lidl, non SDS, cordless drill and it really doesnt
like to struggle. It's also quite hard to get it to keep a grip on the
bits too.

Do you have a local hire shop where you could acquire a mains
SDS drill for a day (or half a day) ?.

It's less than 50 quid to buy one. I did that, as I wanted a drill with
a safety clutch for core drilling. It has come in useful a number of
times for core drilling, normal drilling in brick and chiselling.

So far, just for core drilling, it has done at least 2 holes in the
bathroom (moving soil pipe and adding extractor fan; two in the second
toilet (same things); two in the kitchen (boiler flue and tumble dryer
exhaust) - all 125mm. 50mm holes for two washbasin drains, one shower
drain, sink drain, waste disposal drain, washing machine drain,
dishwasher drain. three 80mm holes for underfloor ventilation ducting.

It has also done one 170mm chain drilled and chiselled hole for the
cooker hood vent. Numerous normally drilled holes. And has chiselled out
for backboxes and the like.

Buying has cost a fraction of what the repeated hire costs would have been.

Okay, it is not a high quality machine (Titan from Screwfix), but it's
good enough for occasional DIY use and, at that price, if it failed
tomorrow, it'd still have been a good investment for what it has done.

Great thread, very informative but I didn't feel at all confident that
the used 14V Makita from eBay would do the job. So I clambered down
the price range and bought the Titan from Screwfix as described in
this post by Steve Walker. If it only lives long enough to do a couple
of jobs it's not much more expensive than a hire. And Screwfix deliver
to my door.
Not only that but the reviews on Screwfix are so positive, though some
might suggest too positive.
--

Mike