Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Sthil ms260 rebuild

On 21/04/2021 11:21, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 13:48:55 -0700 (PDT), Chade

I was happy with everything but now realise that with all the jumping about on youtube I have greased one bearing too many. As well as the bearing I should have greased (in the sprocket) I have also lightly greased the little end bearing with lithium grease.

Are these 'plain bearings' (metal on metal) or 'open' (presumably)
roller or ball bearings?

I'd expect it to be a needle roller.

I know really I should take it all apart again to clean it and put it all back together, but if I started and ran the saw as it is and everything else was right would it do much harm?

I wouldn't worry about having greased it, once it gets warm the grease
will soften and inertial forces will take care of the rest. As it is a
two-stroke any grease residues will rapidly be flushed out through the
cylinder.

The only place I can think of where you wouldn't want grease is on the
centrifugal clutch shoes and they are fairly easy to get to if you
thought there was a chance.

If they did have grease on them some brake cleaner might get it off or
when I was a lad I'd boil them in some washing detergent. ;-)

IME modern linings in CF clutches are fairly insensitive to mineral
oils. But I agree with your fixes if that is a problem