Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Current lumber prices explained

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:28:03 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 10:48:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

This is the best overall explanation I’ve come across. It reflects in
one place the bits and pieces of the story I’ve seen in the Wall St.
Journal and other reliable sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1_6kHG8zc&t=53s

Sooo what we are seeing is that workers are not working. Employers are
having to pay top dollar to get the workers off of the governments tit.
There IS a labor shortage.

Secondly, demand for new housing is probably at an all time high. I
have heard several builders say that they cannot get bricks, along with
everything else.

More people are working at home now days and need a suitable home, with
preferably a dedicated office. Many current homes do not have dedicated
office space.

When supply is limited and demand is up prices go up.

That's the bottom line. He's saying that the bottleneck is the
sawmills and everything else is plentiful. The bottleneck can ask for
the big bucks. Kinda obvious. If the bottleneck were the timber
growers, they'd be getting the big bucks.

The implication above is that the "problem" isn't supply, rather
demand. That's the best "problem" to have, if you're going to have
one.