Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey[_3_] Commander Kinsey[_3_] is offline

Default Spank!

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 22:13:14 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 08:19:55 +0100, #Paul
wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
You have to wonder how far we would be today if religion
had not impeded science.

You've pre-loaded the statement; since it is reasonable to believe
that at least in some cases religion has impeded science, is is only
natural to make the follow-on assumption that science would have been
further advanced. Well, unless the impediment was somehow such that it
slowed science so as to avoid some sort of science based global
catastrophe; perhaps a nuclear war at a time when people were less
averse to mass slaughter and less aware of the global consequences.

A more neutral question might be somthing along the lines of:

"You have to wonder whether religion has, overall, been a help
or hindrance to scientific advance."

A bit of both, in my opinion, and which is more dominant depends
a lot on how widely - or how far back - you cast your viewpoint.

Why are you concentrating on disasters?

He isnt.

I just mean that advances like satnav might have happened 20 years
earlier,

Don't buy that. Satellites had nothing to do with religion, it was
WW2 and the V2 and von Braun that produced that eventually.

and by now we could have been on mars.

Again, nothing to do with religion, that
was actually driven by the cold war.

Surely you must agree that people refusing to believe the earth goes round the sun for 100 years slowed down advances in physics?