Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Moss algae killer

On 21/04/2021 13:32, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 08:08:34 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 21/04/2021 07:02, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 22:57:52 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

The next time I wanted a bag I was told the EU had listed it
as hazardous (25kg might give you a hernia??), and you could only get it
in tiny 1kg boxes - which cost around 7 pounds.

Eh? In Germany: 25 kg bag of ferrous sulphate 15,95 EUR plus 6,90 postage,
orderable online, delivery in 3-4 days, as of today.

Seems the EU got blamed for a lot that just ain't so.

You can still buy certain chemicals in reasonable bulk quantities BUT
you will find that there is no mention of some of their previous
specific uses because they have been banned from such use.

I find that it's listed as: "Eisendünger Moosverdränger 25 kg". That
transliterates to "iron fertilizer moss displacer 25 kg".

Thomas Prufer

Local agricultural/horsey dealer sells 10Kg Ferrous Sulphate
for about £12.

Downside is that it tends to kill the earthworms, AFAIK. Fine
if you object to worm casts on your pristine lawn but they are
useful for aerating the soil, which arguably helps to deter moss
in the first place.