Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chade Chade is offline

Default Sthil ms260 rebuild

Hi all

My sthil ms260 was starting fine but overheating and cutting out. My local garden machinery repair place told me it was because the piston/cylinder was scratched and as this would probably have damaged the rod it was beyond economic repair.

Knowing nothing about engines, but surprised by the cost of new chainsaws, I spent some time on google and youtube. I ordered a new crankshaft, piston, various bearings, gaskets and cylinder assembly. It took me alot longer than I anticipated but the chainsaw is now back together with all the bits replaced. I was happy with everything but now realise that with all the jumping about on youtube I have greased one bearing too many. As well as the bearing I should have greased (in the sprocket) I have also lightly greased the little end bearing with lithium grease. I know really I should take it all apart again to clean it and put it all back together, but if I started and ran the saw as it is and everything else was right would it do much harm?

TIA