Posted to alt.home.repair
%%[_2_] %%[_2_] is offline

Default OT: Lumber prices double, triple, cost of new house +25K

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 4/20/2021 1:08 AM, wrote:

Agree that $15 is too high for some jobs but $7.25 is slave wages and
has not kept up with inflation.

It is not that far off if you look at the minimum wage in say 1964 and
put it into an inflation calculator.

You need balance. If you want to keep jobs in the USA you have to pay
enough for people to buy the products we make.

I am not sure the intent was for minimum wage people to buy that much.
If you are an adult and only capable of making minimum wage even down
here in a coolie wage state like Florida, you really need to reassess
your life.
My wife's club started landscape guys and kitchen help at $11 4 years
ago and they could be making $16 after they were there a while ...
with benefits.

Unfortunately some people were born with minimal ability to reassess their
lives. They still have to eat, buy clothing, and want to keep out of the
rain when they sleep. Hard to do when the minimum wage has been 7.25 for
years.

Depends on your living arrangements.

The 1964 minimum wage was 1.15. That is equal to 9.86 today and you say
not far off?
https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

That is a difference of $104 a week. Huge for a low wage earner.

Your wife sounds reasonable. McD's is advertising $10, Amazon is $15 to
start. Good for them. If you can;t pay $10 you probably are an
incompetent business person.

Much more likely that you are competing with much lower cost foreign labor.