Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: Lumber prices double, triple, cost of new house +25K

On 4/20/2021 12:33 PM, wrote:

That is the point, you really have to be a moron to be making minimum
wage when "do you want fries with that"? or "Paper or plastic" pays
$10-$11.

There are some really slow minded people out there. Let 'em starve?

I suspect most people making that $7.xx are in the labor pool with the
rest of the renta drunks. They may not actually string 2 weeks
together in a row. Those folks have a horrible habit of not showing
up. That is why they get $7-$8

Maybe you never really worked around those folks but when we had the
store we hired them now and then. If they are really a down on their
luck person who is scraping by and want to work, someone will pull
them out of the labor pool and give them a real job.

Not very often, only 5 days a week for 45 years. In the right position
they could do a good job, usually a repetitive one that would drive you
and me crazy after a half hour.

I don't know if
you have noticed but it is rare to see a trade van or a retail place
without a "help wanted" sign on it right now. The only reason we have
any unemployment at all now is you can make almost as much sitting on
the couch smoking dope as you can working because of the government
handouts. ($15+ an hour) If you can score a little cash on the side
you may not ever want a real job ... until the benefits run out.

That is part of it. OTOH, it you are out of work due to the pandemic
from a 60k+ a year job you are not looking for the $10 variety.