Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery[_3_] Ralph Mowery[_3_] is offline

Default OT: Lumber prices double, triple, cost of new house +25K

In article ,
says...

I was always was kind of middle of the road when it comes to the min wage.
On the one hand, there is an argument for letting the market determine the
price. But I'm coming more to the side of not having a problem with raising
the min wage to $15. Like you say, in the early 70s the min wage was $1.60.
Adjust that for inflation and you'd be around $15 now. The other argument
for having a decent min wage is that we should be making working be a
rewarding experience, for people to feel adequately compensated, that it's
worth working instead of collecting public assistance. But Republicans don't
seem to recognize that angle, which is consistent with what Republicans
say they believe. Or used to believe anyway. Seems now they are just a cult
that don't really know what they believe, other than that Democrats and masks
are evil and not to get vaccinated.

Somehow it seems that instead of just one minimum wage, each state is
different. Some states or areas could get by with $ 10 and do ok, some
areas would need $ 20 or more just to get by.
Some areas of town are the same way. In Charlotte NC near where I live
there are houses that are all but fallen in that poor people have lived
in for many years. Now the taxes on them are very high and people are
being offered lots of money just so they can tare the houses down and
the high paid people can build and move in. The poor can not afford the
taxes on those houses.

I don't have a good solution to the problem. There are many low skill
jobs that need to be done. Such as garbage collection that really needs
to be done. Without that after a while a city would be unliveable.. Who
is to say that job should not be paid as much as a ball player ? We can
do without the ballplayers but not garbage collection.

What is really laughable to me is some jury pay. Some hardly get enough
to eat lunch on.