Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT: Lumber prices double, triple, cost of new house +25K

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 1:08:51 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 23:32:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/19/2021 9:00 PM, wrote:

The fast food places that were mostly maned by teenagers when I was
growing up are now adult jobs. If the pay gets high enough they will be
mostly be replaced by robots.

Your spelling and grammar skills are on par with your logical thinking
skills. The USA is far different now than it was fifty years ago, including
a much larger population and a wider gap between the haves and the
have-nots. And all those republican businesses moving
their labor off-shore over the past four decades.

You certainly will not help that situation by legislating an
artificially high wage to jobs that do not provide that level of
return for the business.
All you are doing is assuring that unskilled labor will be replaced by
more machines.

Agree that $15 is too high for some jobs but $7.25 is slave wages and
has not kept up with inflation.

It is not that far off if you look at the minimum wage in say 1964 and
put it into an inflation calculator.

I was always was kind of middle of the road when it comes to the min wage.
On the one hand, there is an argument for letting the market determine the
price. But I'm coming more to the side of not having a problem with raising
the min wage to $15. Like you say, in the early 70s the min wage was $1.60.
Adjust that for inflation and you'd be around $15 now. The other argument
for having a decent min wage is that we should be making working be a
rewarding experience, for people to feel adequately compensated, that it's
worth working instead of collecting public assistance. But Republicans don't
seem to recognize that angle, which is consistent with what Republicans
say they believe. Or used to believe anyway. Seems now they are just a cult
that don't really know what they believe, other than that Democrats and masks
are evil and not to get vaccinated.