Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric vehicles

On 19/04/2021 23:04, %% wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 18/04/2021 20:10, %% wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 17/04/2021 22:17, %% wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message

and with the internet work doesn't need to be further away than a
laptop

real work doesn't involve the internet.

Bull****.

That's what passes for 'work' on the internet.

More bull****. Remote diagnosis etc etc etc is nothing like that.

Same with remote reconfig of complex systems instead of
having to visit in person.

None of which is necessary,

More utterly mindless silly stuff. We used to have full time
staff at the local TV transmitter and telephone exchange.
Now they reconfigure on faults and can swap out the
failed stuff when that is convenient with far fewer staff.

The mobile bases never had full time staff at each one for some reason.

just a means of cutting support costs.

Its still work, just done differently.

Exactly. ,

Faced with a huge trip to Aberdeen and an overnight stay we persuaded
the customer to accept 'remote installation' the computer and modem went
up on a on overnight courier, and I asked him to plug it into a DDI
extension.

Once I had given it an IP address on his network, it gaily phoned home
and picked up email and I told him how to connect his pcs to its POP
server and SMTP to UUCP relay.

Before the internet that was - or at least before people were prepared
to pay for it.

was on the phone less than an hour and then we communicated by email.
compared with a day return plane to Aberdeen....

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat