Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Couple of quick electrical questions - lubrication and disposal

On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 11:42:45 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
David WE Roberts (Google) wrote

Firstly disposal.

I have some memory that if you were to chuck away an
electrical appliance you should first cut the plug off.

I cut the cable off as close to the appliance as possible.

Thats completely stupid if the appliance isnt dangerous.

If someone pulls the cable and the appliance is on a scrape
tip this might mean the whole thing topples on you.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Because I'm not a bull****er and you are is the reason.

Same reasonn you don;t leave a non working car for kids to play with.

Plenty with a clue do just that.

No they don't have a clue they just think they do.
A bit like Trump being an expert on covid-19, the enviroment, and counting votes.

Just because something doesn't work it doesn't mean theres no danger.

There is danger in your yard and house for all kids
and for some odd reason we have both anyway.

But most try to reduce dangers when they are easy to reduce.

It also means someone doesn't try to rewire it by twisting the
cable together and taping it up in the hope thatt it will work.

No reason why they would need to do
that if you dont cut anything off, stupid.

I don't want to make it easy for them to seel it on ebay to the mugs on there.

I then remove the plug unscrewing the individual conductors
and keep the cable , normally keep the plug too and put them
in a safe places where I can't find them when needed ;-)

Makes no sense to remove the plug if you are keeping both.

It does for space saving

Bull****.

Tha'ts the only thing you're an expert on isn't it.

and I tend to reuse the individual conductors
rather than reuse the mains cable.

More fool you.

I could never equal your foolishness.

However a cut off moulded plug itself seems dodgy
as it could be plugged in and have a live connection.

Take the fuse out helps but kitkat wrapper.

yes again take the fuse out and store it for later use.

No point in taking it out if you are keeping
everything except the appliance.

I may need the fuse in something else if it's not
13amp which I do normally leave in the plug.

Makes more sense to have a set of replacement fuses, stupid.

And where would I get a set of replacement fuses oh yes from the plugs,
it takes quite a bit of space to have 50 or so plugs with fuses in them.
Better to take them out and keep them in a small box, and
get rid of the excess plugs. Seperate the metal from the plastic/rubber too..

And I have a bag of about 50 of them anyway.