Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Couple of quick electrical questions - lubrication and disposal

On 19/04/2021 20:11, williamwright wrote:
On 19/04/2021 18:18, Clive Arthur wrote:

Once the moulded plug has been stripped of its 3 pins, I would then
cut the moulded plug off the cable.

Luxury.Â* I grind the plug to a powder, encapsulate it in resin, then
fire it into deep space while dancing on it's grave singing Hallelujah.

I used to do that, but I eventually realised that singing Hallelujah
made no real difference.

Bill

Prayer mat mis-aligned ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 08:29, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 19/04/2021 17:44, Owain Lastname wrote:
On Monday, 19 April 2021 at 17:16:40 UTC+1, GB wrote:
If the appliance is just faulty, not dangerous, I don't see why you
should cut the plug off?

A faulty appliance is probably dangerous, at least inasmuch as it
encourages some dimwit to have a go fixing it and sticking their
fingers in places fingers shouldn't go to try and make it work.

If it was faulty and fixable you wouldn't be throwing it away would you?

You might be surprised at the things people throw away because they're
not the currently "in" design or don't have the latest bell and/or
whistle, even though they function perfectly and are safe.

That's not a new phenomenon. I acquired a Revox A77 Mk1 for very good price
when it's owner discoved a Mk2 had just come out. That was in 1969. I still
have the machine & it's in working order

Unlike the magnetic tapes that have gone all sticky :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 07:49, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/04/2021 20:15, Chris Green wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Take the fuse out helps but kitkat wrapper.
So just put the whole thing in the electricals bin at the tip?

Just twist the live pin

Er, is this actually possible?Â* They're mostly brass which isn't very
'twistable'.Â* I think breaking the pins off is a more realistic
possibility but, really, do many people go to this sort of extent?

On shrouded pin plugs, they are quite easy to twist with pliers IME.

if such items are disposed at the local council-run amenity tip,
then removing items from the cages or skips is physically difficult
and almost certain to be noticed by the staff, who will chuck you out
(without the items)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 08:40, Adam Funk wrote:

What's it made of that works as a lubricant but doesn't interfere with
conduction?

240 volts will get through most lubricants when there is mechanical
connection between pin and socket. Might get a bit smoky if you are
running a 3Kw heater though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 11:42:45 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
David WE Roberts (Google) wrote

Firstly disposal.

I have some memory that if you were to chuck away an
electrical appliance you should first cut the plug off.

I cut the cable off as close to the appliance as possible.

Thats completely stupid if the appliance isnt dangerous.

If someone pulls the cable and the appliance is on a scrape
tip this might mean the whole thing topples on you.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Because I'm not a bull****er and you are is the reason.

Same reasonn you don;t leave a non working car for kids to play with.

Plenty with a clue do just that.

No they don't have a clue they just think they do.
A bit like Trump being an expert on covid-19, the enviroment, and counting votes.

Just because something doesn't work it doesn't mean theres no danger.

There is danger in your yard and house for all kids
and for some odd reason we have both anyway.

But most try to reduce dangers when they are easy to reduce.

It also means someone doesn't try to rewire it by twisting the
cable together and taping it up in the hope thatt it will work.

No reason why they would need to do
that if you dont cut anything off, stupid.

I don't want to make it easy for them to seel it on ebay to the mugs on there.

I then remove the plug unscrewing the individual conductors
and keep the cable , normally keep the plug too and put them
in a safe places where I can't find them when needed ;-)

Makes no sense to remove the plug if you are keeping both.

It does for space saving

Bull****.

Tha'ts the only thing you're an expert on isn't it.

and I tend to reuse the individual conductors
rather than reuse the mains cable.

More fool you.

I could never equal your foolishness.

However a cut off moulded plug itself seems dodgy
as it could be plugged in and have a live connection.

Take the fuse out helps but kitkat wrapper.

yes again take the fuse out and store it for later use.

No point in taking it out if you are keeping
everything except the appliance.

I may need the fuse in something else if it's not
13amp which I do normally leave in the plug.

Makes more sense to have a set of replacement fuses, stupid.

And where would I get a set of replacement fuses oh yes from the plugs,
it takes quite a bit of space to have 50 or so plugs with fuses in them.
Better to take them out and keep them in a small box, and
get rid of the excess plugs. Seperate the metal from the plastic/rubber too..

And I have a bag of about 50 of them anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 20:42:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

YOU pathological senile cretin certainly KEEP bull****ting your way into
your grave FAST!

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-19, John Rumm wrote:

On 19/04/2021 13:38, David wrote:

Firstly disposal.
I have some memory that if you were to chuck away an electrical appliance
you should first cut the plug off.

Only if you particularly need the plug (and it's a rewireable one). As
long as the appliance is not dangerous you can leave the plug on.

However a cut off moulded plug itself seems dodgy as it could be plugged
in and have a live connection.

Indeed you need to take more care disposing of a terminated plug which
could make live wires accessible.

Take the fuse out helps but kitkat wrapper.
So just put the whole thing in the electricals bin at the tip?

Just twist the live pin

Secondly, I have a 4 way extension lead up high under a roof in the dry,
but outside.
It is getting a bit stiff for plugging in and out, which I assume may be
oxidisation of the connectors over time (years).
Is there a suitable lubricant?

CPC will do you a contact lubricant / cleaning spray. Squirt some on the
pins of the plug and inert and remove a few times.

What's it made of that works as a lubricant but doesn't interfere with
conduction?

it doesn't works exactly as a lubricant. It slightly dissolves oxides,
that's all

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-19, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

On a static contact, mineral oil lubricants won't prevent conduction at
the high spots. My guess is that proper "contact cleaners" contain weak
organic acids which help to dissolve oxides. 3-in-1 certainly contains a
very effective anti-rust additive, this may be the thing that gives it
the distinct smell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 08:29, charles wrote:
You might be surprised at the things people throw away because they're
not the currently "in" design or don't have the latest bell and/or
whistle, even though they function perfectly and are safe.

That's not a new phenomenon. I acquired a Revox A77 Mk1 for very good price
when it's owner discoved a Mk2 had just come out. That was in 1969. I still
have the machine & it's in working order

Round here the rich kids are always trading in their wives for a newer
model.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-19, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks. I guess removing oxides improves conduction as well as
reducing friction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 08:30, charles wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

(or better still, fit a socket designed for exterior use)

The BG one of those I bought recently is simply a normal (indoor) socket in
a waterproof (ish) box.

It's the box that is the important bit - it keeps the damp out.

--
Cheers,

John.