Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: Lumber prices double, triple, cost of new house +25K

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 22:09:54 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)

Most domestic softwood (construction lumber) imports come from Canada.

We still grow a lot of softwoods here. Have you ever been out of town
to the forests just east and northeast of you?

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

"most domestic softwood _imports_ come from Canada".

I didn't say

"all softwood is imported from canada".

Do you see the difference?

Given that the USA doesn't produce 100% of it's softwood lumber,
it must need import. Since the imports are down (and the
tariffs are higher), supply and demand drives the price.

It is not really a shortage of wood, it is the processing that we
don't do and I doubt we will expand that capability as long as it is
cheaper to import.

And yes, I've visited every corner of my state. The vast
majority of which was clear-cut over the last 150 years. You
easterners have no clue about California, it appears.

You know there are a bunch of other states out there. There are also
forests scattered throughout Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Idaho,
Montana, Western Wyoming and South Dakota. We have hiked in the woods
in all of them. There is no shortage of wood.

Note that outside of the sierra, the vast majority of lumber

is not suitable for lumber (e.g. various live oak species and
other hardwoods).

Who said anything about live oaks? Even in Florida where live oaks are
weeds, we grow a ****load of Southern Yellow Pine that makes excellent
lumber. The same is true all over the South.