Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default How to install non-ic can lighting in the ceiling w/blown insulation ...

Sid 03 writes:
On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 1:25:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 13:51:04 -0400, Retirednoguilt=20
wrote:=20
=20
On 4/19/2021 11:25 AM, Sid 03 wrote:=20
We are installing can lights in the ceiling on the 2nd floor of our ho=

use where there is about 6" of blown insulation. The remodeling cans are no=
n-ic rated. The included instructions state that the cans should be install=
ed with the insulation no closer than 3".=20
=20
How do you keep the insulation away ?=20
Thought about cutting both ends from a coffee-can and placing that aro=

und each can-light from the attic ? Maybe 1/2" wire screen and bend a cylin=
der to be placed around each light ?=20
=20
Any help is appreciated.=20
Thank You.=20
=20
=20
If the rating is predicated on using incandescent or CFL bulbs, and you=

=20
use CFLs, there's much less heat generated. In fact, the greatest risk=

=20
from heat will not be a fire in the attic but damaged electronics in the=

=20
base of the LED bulb. If I were in your situation, I'd not worry about=

=20
keeping the blown insulation away from the base of the cans and use LEDs=

=20
that are rated to be used bulb down. (I had a few LEDs that I started=20
using in swag lamps. After a few weeks, they began to flicker and even=

=20
go out after being on for more than about one hour, only to work again=

=20
after being allowed to cool completely when the cycle would repeat. I=20
moved them to table lamps and they've not flickered once.)

In a can it is better to just use the retro fit kit. They are designed=20
for the application. These things use from about 11 watts to 18 watts.=20
They are not nearly enough to be worrying about overheating the can.

That's good info, but we have already installed about 8 of these lights on =
the first floor and working, now she wants some on the 2nd floor, so I had =
to buy what matched (what she wanted)
Yes, I can get in the attic and get to the lights from above. =20
Q: If I do use boxes pre-built or I-built, would you just build 4 sides an=
d box it in, or 4 sides and a cover/Top ? (maybe drill a couple of 3/4 hol=
es to let some heat escape)

four sides. leave the top open. make sure the sides are high enough
if you have blown insulation.