Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: Lumber prices double, triple, cost of new house +25K

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:24:51 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 19/04/2021 14:04, trader_4 wrote:
Lumber has skyrocketed over the last two years, most common lumber
doubling, or tripling in price. Among the reasons? Trump's tariffs on
Canada substantially reduced Canadian imports, while raising prices.
I hope the Trumpets are happy.

Yup, here's more info:

'Fed study finds Trump tariffs backfired'

https://www.marke****ch.com/story/fe...red-2019-12-27

That is the flaw in most "Buy American" schemes. We simply can't
compete with 3d world countries on price. They also don't give a ****
about spotted owls or old growth trees. Cut them down, saw them up and
send them to the US.
The ironic thing is that since China is not buying our logs our timber
industry is suffering. We have a lumber shortage but logs are a glut
on the market. The only logical explanation is we do not have the saw
mill capacity to turn logs into lumber.
That is only going to get worse with Biden's $15 minimum wage.
We are rapidly pricing the US out of the job market.
Then we ask why a ship getting stuck in a canal half way around the
world causes shortages here.