Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default One for Bill. Wierd aerial issue

SH wrote:
On 17/04/2021 14:48, Paul wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Just noticed this thread on the AVFORUMS site.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/iss...erial.2352361/

I didn't know there was an 'omni-directional' freeview aerial.

read the thread and look at the photos.

The elderly neighbours have an external aerial on quite a high
external pole so they presumably cannot be in a strong signal
area.

I wish you guys had tvfool.com , as this tells you
so much about your local conditions.

I think tvfool is for America, the original post is in the UK and we
follow OFCOM rather than FCC when it comes to TV and radio
transmissions....

VHF TV ceased back in the 1980s if I recall correctly......

PLus we have DAB here wehereas you ahev Sirius/XM radio.....

I took care to explain the utility of the site, and
how it aids in setup. Some private person set that up,
but I don't know whether the dataset comes from government,
or is derived in some other way.

If you had similar, then less guesswork is required.

The colours indicate the class of aerial required for
the job. Green, is just about anything works. If you
want the outer ring, then a massive Yagi is required,
plus some luck. There are some other sites that use
the colouring scheme for antennas, to guide consumers.

One of the columns shows how the signal arrives.
My cottage example receives a boost, because the
signal travels over water for a portion of the trip.
And when a large ship passes in the bay, the TV goes
off :-)

Paul