Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LiPo vs Rechargeable Lithium 123

On 17/04/2021 16:36, Nick Odell wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 15:25:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 17/04/2021 15:01, Theo wrote:
Nick Odell wrote:
I was just wondering how the performance of these LiPos compare with a
more conventional rechargeable lithium 123 cell. The 123 only weighs
4g more than the LiPo yet seem to have many times the storage capacity
so presumably there must be some reason why they aren't used in this
application. Any thoughts?

I don't know what you mean by '123 cell' (as mentioned a CR123 is
non-rechargeable. The company A123 Systems made lithium iron phosphate for
EVs etc, probably a bit large for you!), but possibly the amount of current
that can be drawn. A drone is going to take much more continuously than a
camera.

Theo

model planes will fly on 123s. They are better than Nixx. But LIPO is
simply better than either.

In what respect better? Are the LiPos better able to sustain a high
current drain?

more energy to weight and as much power to weight

It was my suspicion that they might not be equal to
several minutes sustained flight that made me ask the question rather
than lash one up in the helicopter body.

Well I've had nearly half an hours sustained flight out of LIPOS. Not an
a chopper tho

Nick

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell