Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default weeping rad valve

On 17/04/2021 10:59, rick wrote:
On the balancing valve on a radiator it is weeping ever so slightly from
the 15mm compression nut.
The house was recently rented and I noticed pipe pulled away form the
pipe clips, sop it looks like it had been disturbed.
Reseated pipe, undid the compression fitting nut and refitted.

Over night it is still weeping ..... such a tiny amount iut can't be
seen, but I had put down dry cloth and it is damp.

Tried putting 1/4 turn extra on compression fitting ......... if this
does not fix it ..... seen 2 'tweaks' done by plumbers.

1. remove pipe, wrap 2 turns of PTFE tape around the olive and refit.,
probably would put PTFE tapes around the compression threads as well

2. remove pipe, and smear olives and olive seat with Fernox LS-X joint
sealer.

Thoughts on either approach ?

I know ideally I should cut out the pipe, (its a 90 degree slow bend to
horizontal pipe under the rad)Â*Â* bend a new piece, and then solder that
in place.
Just a lot of work I'd rather not do now.

Put a smear of jointing compound (I'm not a fan of anything called "leak
sealer") on the mating faces - pretty much guaranteed to work.