Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: more PC insanity

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 08:35:46 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

But the English langauge changes and evolves with time.

Of course.

The word fag goes back years and it's meaning has changed over time and countries.
Accdents also change the way people say words, and that doesn't mean those same people
spell them differently too.

Sure, but what was of interest in the case of 'anythinK' is *why*?

snip
I'm not sure I've seen any sign of that, other than maybe from people
from poorer areas who may not have enjoyed a good education, maybe
over several generations. That's often where I hear the 'we was' and
now the 'anythink'.

Are you sure it's not just sounds that you fail to properly understand.

In the case of 'anythinK', no.

snip

For the same reason a swedish friend sounded swedish until she spent a year at the university of birmingham
studying English and sounded like a brummie when she returned to London.#

Not talking about accents or dialects, I'm talking about the
mispronunciation of a very common and easily pronounced word,
'anythinG'.

A clever perons will adapt in order to communicate with those around them.

Of course. Still doesn't answer the question *why* anythinK though, or
the hard H on aitch after all these years with most people saying it
correctly.

snip

I have a mate who can easily 'lock in' a miss pronunciation of
something, if he reads / hears it incorrectly the first time. Like he
currently refers to the home automation software as 'Home Assist',
rather than 'Home Assistant'.

To me it just sounds like a shortened version.

I know him and it isn't.

snip

Very common in the counties around London.

In the 'old days' they employed / expected people 'on TV' to be able
to speak properly, 'BBC / received pronunciation etc.

Yes true,

and they expected peole to right with the correct hand which was the right hand.

Very different issue.

snip

Ok, I get some people will use Tautologies ... "3am in the morning
..." or use the wrong names for things because they have only heard
others using them incorrectly ('Robin Reliant') and more cultural like
'aks' instead of 'ask', but where did the hard 'H' in 'aitch or
anythinK come from?

snip

Cheers, T i m