Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Once upon a BNC ...

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 15/04/2021 13:54, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 15 April 2021 at 11:21:03 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The
kit
of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a spanner,
the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit your cable
diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre pin was
definitely soldered and none of the electrons would deteriorate on
their
journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm
job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That centre
conductor ain't secure.

What happened??
I doubt any of the plug in connectors inside your computer are soldered.
They will all be crimped.

I think they are called IDC, not soldered and not really crimpted, it
amazes me that this type
of connector is so realible.

They are only reliable if not subjected to movement, same for soldered
connectors. Some IDC connectors have a means of steadying the cable. The
'knife' making contact with the wire is a gas tight joint. There will be
an element of spring to the knife.

This article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insula...ment_connector
claims the connector blade cold-welds to the conductor.

A cable that can withstand vibration or movement will generally be
multi-stranded. Applying solder to a multi-stranded wire will effectively
turn it into a single strand for a short distance through wicking of the
solder along the wire

Not by enough to matter with a BNC or even a DB25 etc.

and so fragile to any movement.

Not when the connector also has a cable grip and most do.