Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: more PC insanity

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 15:34:09 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 12/04/2021 06:31 pm, T i m wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:

snip

Back on the words / spelling thing, I am reminded constantly (TV and
ITRW) how many people *say* 'anythinK' but I wonder what percentage of
them would write is like that?

That's not a spelling error,

I didn't suggest it was, quite the opposite in fact.

just a quirky regional pronunciation.

I'm not sure I've seen any sign of that, other than maybe from people
from poorer areas who may not have enjoyed a good education, maybe
over several generations. That's often where I hear the 'we was' and
now the 'anythink'.

still know lots of people who would say that it that way but would
always spell it correctly.

Any that you are close enough to to ask *why* they pronounce it that
way? I have a mate who can easily 'lock in' a miss pronunciation of
something, if he reads / hears it incorrectly the first time. Like he
currently refers to the home automation software as 'Home Assist',
rather than 'Home Assistant'.

And when young my parents corrected me if I ever said 'we was' and why
it seems so strange that so many people also seem to get that wrong?

Yes that is weird.

And it's so commonly used in conversation so comes up pretty
frequently.

Very common in the counties around London.

In the 'old days' they employed / expected people 'on TV' to be able
to speak properly, 'BBC / received pronunciation etc.

I get that might not be so relevant today with all the inclusion stuff
however I think they do at least need to use real words and
pronunciations?

Ok, I get some people will use Tautologies ... "3am in the morning
...." or use the wrong names for things because they have only heard
others using them incorrectly ('Robin Reliant') and more cultural like
'aks' instead of 'ask', but where did the hard 'H' in 'aitch or
anythinK come from?

Cheers, T i m