Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toughened glass thickness opinion.....

On 15/04/2021 14:46, Robin wrote:
On 15/04/2021 13:38, R D S wrote:
I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade
clamps and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes.

The panels are roughly 1600x350mm.

I had the glass already (recovered from some display cabinets). Should
the panes bust i'll replace them with something thicker as and when
but i'm just wondering what to expect from them, they look quite
flimsy in the wild!

I could test them of course, I have a couple spare, but rather than
make a mess I thought i'd invite opinion?

I think it depends on the risk of harm if the glass breaks.Â* So eg glass
to keep the wind off while you sup can be thinner than glass to stop
people falling down your well.Â* But IIRC the building regs used* to
require only 6mm for 1400mm safety barriers so I'd have thought you'll
be OK with what you have for most purposes.

*"used" as that was in 2000 and things may have changed.

From memory glass ann building regs is mostly about falling *through *
a large panel and having your arteries shredded. The regs suggested two
different approaches - first to use toughened glass of a certain size,
or secondly to break the area up into panelets and/or use safety bars to
span the larger areas.

My single glazed french doors are formed of 3mm panes of 'agricultural'
glass, leaded together and feature two horizontal steel bars to
stabilise the lot and met 2000 regs

Id say for a modern look 6mm or maybe 10mm toughened is the answer.

6mm is bloody tough - needs a hammer to break it