Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toughened glass thickness opinion.....

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade clamps
and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes.

The panels are roughly 1600x350mm.

I had the glass already (recovered from some display cabinets). Should
the panes bust i'll replace them with something thicker as and when but
i'm just wondering what to expect from them, they look quite flimsy in
the wild!

I could test them of course, I have a couple spare, but rather than make
a mess I thought i'd invite opinion?

I'd say it would depend on the application. If your screen is also
protection against people falling through it (like round a roof terrace)
I'd likely take the advice of a decent glass supplier.

I have a custom made unit for the AV system. The base unit - effectively
three shelves of a table 1400 x 600 is made of 10mm toughened. What the
glass supplier recommended. It has legs at each corner.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.