Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Once upon a BNC ...

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:03:25 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 14/04/2021 21:11, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:31:40 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

snip

In 37 years working in the industry, I've only ever known a couple to
fail in service. And probably less than 20 or so to be a 'duffer' when made.

I've sent plenty fail in use or when made but that could be down to
the wrong technique, poor tools or cheap components (or a mix of
each).

In the broadcasting industry every cable is bespoke, and hand made.

Ok.

Pre-made crap and/or components from China etc is not permitted.

That might explain the good reliability point then. ;-)

I worked on one project where the chief engineer insisted that return
loss was measured on every cable, and the parameter monitored for 3
minutes per cable to ensure stability !

;-)

He had a lot of time on his hands !

Well, maybe, or a reputation to up hold?

There are many jobs I have turned down because it was highly likely
that I wasn't going to be able to do it to my own (fairly high)
standard and / or would be able to do it 'comfortably' and up to a
reasonable level of general acceptance by those who know.

IDC (within reason) how long it takes to do it right, right is the
only way I want to do it. [1]

If I need to solder something up and want to do so in a way where it's
right first time, is safe and reliable and I can't find my 'soldering'
glasses or the right solder, I'll not do it till I have.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I'm sure I'm not the only person to have soldered up a multipin
connector (DB25 or worse, a sub D / HD15 VGA connector), had 100%
perfect soldered and heat shrinked joints, only to find I hadn't
fitted the one piece metal shell on first. Like a threadable 13A mains
plug top lid but many times worse. ;-(

So, it's just a matter of taking a deep breath, cutting the plug off,
cleaning up the connectors (threading the shroud on) and starting
again whilst aiming for the same standard. ;-)