Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default access port for 'Easy Start'

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:13:12 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

After serious thinking Chris Green wrote :
Yes, that's my experience too. Anything that's not easy to start has
something fundamentally wrong with it that needs fixing, not a squirt
of magic spray.

I agree - It can actually cause extra damage, by washing the film of
oil from the cylinder bores,

I think like most things it all depends how you use it.

If you squirt enough of it that it enters the cylinder as a liquid
then yes I guess it could dissolve / thin any oil coating inside the
cylinder (for one cycle anyway) but it shouldn't if you only allow the
vaporised ether to enter the cylinder, as they would enter if they
were vaporised petrol?

so really its use ought to be for
emergencies only.

Agreed, ideally all engines should start easily using their own
solutions.

I've kept a can in the boot for the past ten years,
just in case, but it is still unused.

I keep a can in the kitcar that may only get started once every few
months and because it has a mechanical fuel pump, *sometimes* needs
spinning over for quite a few seconds to get some fuel to the carb. A
puff of Easy Start into the air filter intake is generally all that's
needed to get the engine to run for a few seconds and take the load
off the starter / battery long enough to get some fuel pressure up.

I also had an old Bedford CF Ambulance Campervan conversion that
hadn't been run for years and needed a puff of Easy Start to get it to
fire up. It weaned itself off Easy Start over the first 5 or so times
I fired it up.

Cheers, T i m