Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default access port for 'Easy Start'

Some 2 stroke and even 4 stroke garden machinery engines are a pig to start.. A blast of 'Easy Start' is the simple cure but it involve remoting the air filter or the spark plug. A removable cap to allow 'Easy Start' be sprayed directly into the carburetor would be very convenient, no ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 21:50, fred wrote:
Some 2 stroke and even 4 stroke garden machinery engines are a pig to start. A blast of 'Easy Start' is the simple cure but it involve remoting the air filter or the spark plug. A removable cap to allow 'Easy Start' be sprayed directly into the carburetor would be very convenient, no ?

My stuff is all very easy to start particularly compared to kit from a
few decades ago. I'd wondered whether they had rare earth magnets these
days (this is talking about points-free stuff). I did have to strip and
blow out the jets in a carb a couple of weeks ago, but that's the first
problem I have had in ten years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Back in them old days of model aircraft with glo plug engines etc, we used
to squirt some stuff in for an easier start, cannot recall what it was after
all this time though.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"fred" wrote in message
Some 2 stroke and even 4 stroke garden machinery engines are a pig to start.
A blast of 'Easy Start' is the simple cure but it involve remoting the air
filter or the spark plug. A removable cap to allow 'Easy Start' be sprayed
directly into the carburetor would be very convenient, no ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 14/04/2021 21:50, fred wrote:
Some 2 stroke and even 4 stroke garden machinery engines are a pig to

start. A blast of 'Easy Start' is the simple cure but it involve remoting
the air filter or the spark plug. A removable cap to allow 'Easy Start'
be sprayed directly into the carburetor would be very convenient, no ?

My stuff is all very easy to start particularly compared to kit from a
few decades ago. I'd wondered whether they had rare earth magnets these
days (this is talking about points-free stuff). I did have to strip and
blow out the jets in a carb a couple of weeks ago, but that's the first
problem I have had in ten years.

Yes, that's my experience too. Anything that's not easy to start has
something fundamentally wrong with it that needs fixing, not a squirt
of magic spray.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Chris Green wrote :
Yes, that's my experience too. Anything that's not easy to start has
something fundamentally wrong with it that needs fixing, not a squirt
of magic spray.

I agree - It can actually cause extra damage, by washing the film of
oil from the cylinder bores, so really its use ought to be for
emergencies only. I've kept a can in the boot for the past ten years,
just in case, but it is still unused.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 07:31:31 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Back in them old days of model aircraft with glo plug engines etc, we used
to squirt some stuff in for an easier start, cannot recall what it was after
all this time though.

I used to just 'choke' the engine with my thumb / finger over the
inlet as I turned it over and / or squirted some neat fuel into the
inlet, or even straight into the cylinder if there was a suitable
pressure take off on the exhaust manifold.

The Webra Speed 61R (Marine) in my catamaran wasn't so easy to get to
the carb (because it was on the back of the engine near crankshaft
level) buy that then normally started quickly enough on my electric
starter and belt. ;-)

My mate had highly tuned his engine (we were Factory sponsored
drivers) so it was far more difficult to start and temperamental in
use. ;-(

Given that it was supposed to make 1.6 bhp (at 16,500 rpm) I didn't
really see the need for the extra tuning, especially if it made it
less reliable.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:13:12 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

After serious thinking Chris Green wrote :
Yes, that's my experience too. Anything that's not easy to start has
something fundamentally wrong with it that needs fixing, not a squirt
of magic spray.

I agree - It can actually cause extra damage, by washing the film of
oil from the cylinder bores,

I think like most things it all depends how you use it.

If you squirt enough of it that it enters the cylinder as a liquid
then yes I guess it could dissolve / thin any oil coating inside the
cylinder (for one cycle anyway) but it shouldn't if you only allow the
vaporised ether to enter the cylinder, as they would enter if they
were vaporised petrol?

so really its use ought to be for
emergencies only.

Agreed, ideally all engines should start easily using their own
solutions.

I've kept a can in the boot for the past ten years,
just in case, but it is still unused.

I keep a can in the kitcar that may only get started once every few
months and because it has a mechanical fuel pump, *sometimes* needs
spinning over for quite a few seconds to get some fuel to the carb. A
puff of Easy Start into the air filter intake is generally all that's
needed to get the engine to run for a few seconds and take the load
off the starter / battery long enough to get some fuel pressure up.

I also had an old Bedford CF Ambulance Campervan conversion that
hadn't been run for years and needed a puff of Easy Start to get it to
fire up. It weaned itself off Easy Start over the first 5 or so times
I fired it up.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 12:32, T i m wrote:

I also had an old Bedford CF Ambulance Campervan conversion that
hadn't been run for years and needed a puff of Easy Start to get it to
fire up. It weaned itself off Easy Start over the first 5 or so times
I fired it up.

I had an early Leyland Roadrunner horsebox, probably a bit younger than
the CF. That actually required "easystart" for any cold start, there was
an official Leyland product and IIRC some sort of port in the cab for
injecting it. But you could get away with generic easystart into the air
filter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
Some 2 stroke and even 4 stroke garden machinery engines are a pig to
start. A blast of 'Easy Start' is the simple cure but it involve
remoting the air filter or the spark plug. A removable cap to allow
'Easy Start' be sprayed directly into the carburetor would be very
convenient, no ?

They'll only be a pig to start with a poor spark or the mixture not rich
enough (assuming a cold start).

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
fred wrote:
Some 2 stroke and even 4 stroke garden machinery engines are a pig to
start. A blast of 'Easy Start' is the simple cure but it involve
remoting the air filter or the spark plug. A removable cap to allow
'Easy Start' be sprayed directly into the carburetor would be very
convenient, no ?

They'll only be a pig to start with a poor spark or the mixture not rich
enough (assuming a cold start).

Thats bull****. Some strimmers are notoriously pigs to start.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 04:44:23 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
"MID: .com"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 07:31:31 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Back in them old days of model aircraft with glo plug engines etc, we
used to squirt some stuff in for an easier start, cannot recall what it
was after all this time though.
Brian

Afair, that would have been ether (diethyl ether to give it its full
name).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether#Fuel

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 21:06, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 07:31:31 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Back in them old days of model aircraft with glo plug engines etc, we
used to squirt some stuff in for an easier start, cannot recall what it
was after all this time though.
Brian

Afair, that would have been ether (diethyl ether to give it its full
name).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether#Fuel

it was raw fuel with a glowplug. they were always easy to start.

ether was a constituent of model *'diesel'* fuel - and still is

--
it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus