Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default access port for 'Easy Start'

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 07:31:31 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Back in them old days of model aircraft with glo plug engines etc, we used
to squirt some stuff in for an easier start, cannot recall what it was after
all this time though.

I used to just 'choke' the engine with my thumb / finger over the
inlet as I turned it over and / or squirted some neat fuel into the
inlet, or even straight into the cylinder if there was a suitable
pressure take off on the exhaust manifold.

The Webra Speed 61R (Marine) in my catamaran wasn't so easy to get to
the carb (because it was on the back of the engine near crankshaft
level) buy that then normally started quickly enough on my electric
starter and belt. ;-)

My mate had highly tuned his engine (we were Factory sponsored
drivers) so it was far more difficult to start and temperamental in
use. ;-(

Given that it was supposed to make 1.6 bhp (at 16,500 rpm) I didn't
really see the need for the extra tuning, especially if it made it
less reliable.

Cheers, T i m