Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Once upon a BNC ...

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:31:40 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

snip

In 37 years working in the industry, I've only ever known a couple to
fail in service. And probably less than 20 or so to be a 'duffer' when made.

I've sent plenty fail in use or when made but that could be down to
the wrong technique, poor tools or cheap components (or a mix of
each).

When I installed an Thin Ethernet LAL at one my jobs I used solder /
bolt up RG58 BNC connectors throughout and never had one of those fail
either. In contrast with the crimp RG58/9's I've tried though, I
never had one fail whilst being made.

And the bolt up seem so much neater, no strands of screen wire
sticking out and as a benefit, the solder / bolt up and re-useable.
;-)

Quite a few times I've 'nicked' a connector from one of my cable to
make another.

It seems wrong to try to make a crimp BNC, learn it's faulty when
tested or intermittent in use to just cut it off and throw (all that
engineering) away. ;-(

A mate offered me a handful of RG59 BNC's to make up some CCTV cables
and even though I have a reasonable crimping tool, the crimp
connectors being much cheaper and more readily available, I politely
declined his offer.

Mind you, I have benefited from bad crimps as he gave me what he
thought was bad CCTV camera that turned out to be just a bad (crimped)
connector. ;-)

Cheers, T i m