Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Carver Mark Carver is offline

Default Once upon a BNC ...

On 14/04/2021 16:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

There was a time obtaining a solder type BNC connector was easy. The
kit of about 9 individual bits assembled with a solder iron and a
spanner, the choice of using 50ohm or 75ohm, different types to suit
your cable diameter. The warm feeling got when ya knew that the centre
pin was definitely soldered and none of the electrons would
deteriorate on their journey.

I've just been looking through Amazon and eBay, doing an RG59 75ohm job.

All I can find are crimp/compression/twist types. Horrible. That
centre conductor ain't secure.

Whenever you put your telly on you're watching signals that have
travelled through scores of crimped BNC connectors in studios and OB trucks.
These days , with uncompressed serial digital video running at 3 Gb/s.

In 37 years working in the industry, I've only ever known a couple to
fail in service. And probably less than 20 or so to be a 'duffer' when made.