Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Drivers

"Scion" wrote in message
There's an odd junction for joining the westbound A27 from the A280 just
outside Worthing.

The A27 is a two-lane dual carriageway at that point. The A280 merges into
lane one from a slip road. Nothing unusual about that so far.

The oddity is, about 100 yards further on from the end of the slip road
the A27 gets a third lane split off from lane two.

I've never been able to work out why the slip road doesn't simply become
the new lane one on the left.

One of the most dangerous and misleading junctions I've encountered is this
one in Ryde on the Isle of Wight: https://goo.gl/maps/22KPv63YyAYZU7Jc6

As you approach, it looks like a roundabout. It also looks like one on a map
(paper or satnav). You might think "why does the car on the right have a
give way line" but unless you are very quick on the uptake, you enter the
roundabout to turn right, and are suddenly faced with a give-way sign (only
visible side-on as you approach the not-roundabout) and have to give way to
traffic from your left.

It really needs one of two things - either say "sod it" and convert it to a
proper roundabout with normal rules, or else erect signs at each entrance to
say "Roundabout rules do NOT apply - GIVE WAY to traffic from left".

I'm not sure why the priority is that way, anyway. The traffic that you have
to give way to is coming from a dead-end, whereas the road you are on is a
major through route.