Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup[_7_] soup[_7_] is offline

Default De-ice the car properly!

On 13/04/2021 21:58, NY wrote:
soup wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

soup wrote:

I would NEVER NEVER never pour even tepid water onto a screen

Like others, I've only used water for defrosting for at least 30
years, no issues with cracking.

"I".

You may well have 'got away with it' for 30 years but I wouldn't do it.

So would you rely on de-icer, a scraper and the car heater left on for
ages?

Erm no.

As I 'said' before ,
I remove loose/surface snow with a scraper .

Spray with Iso-propyl.(have gallons of it to clean my (bicycle)
brakes(Hydraulic disc).

If needed, I give a quick 'bloop' to the windscreen wipers whilst
activating the screen wash.

The rear screen is heated I can usually see out the back anyway but
the heater ensures I have a clear view by the time I am out of the cul-
de-sac's car park.

That brings me too a side point how do heated windscreens work?
I fully realise rear windows have wires in them but I have never seen a
windscreen with wires yet I have seen cars specced with heated
windscreens.