Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Three-year-old loft conversion suddenly very noisy

On 13/04/2021 12:17, Bert Coules wrote:
Just over three years ago I had a major loft conversion done on my
semi-detached sixties bungalow: the process included removing and
replacing all the existing ground floor ceilings and building above them
with a timber carcass and new roof.

As expected, everything took a while to settle and establish itself and
there was some evidence of a small amount of movement, most noticeable
in the fit of a couple of sliding doors.Â* But before long everything was
fine.

Then in the last few weeks, the new ceilings/loft area floors suddenly
became startlingly noisy, emitting what I can best describe as
intermittent sharp (and loud) cracks.Â* Since this mostly happens towards
evening I'm inclined to put it down to expansion and contraction, though
there are also isolated incidents of it during the day.

Am I right?Â* And if so, why is it happening now?Â* And should I be
concerned?

If there are no obvious signs of moving through cracks or any other
signs I would put it down to thermal expansion.

Where I am the property seems to be alive, mainly in the evening when
everything is cooling down.

Just keep an eye out for any changes.