Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Three-year-old loft conversion suddenly very noisy

Yes is the bungalow built on a concrete raft over an old clay quarry? There
is a house not far from me like that and the raft is beginning to crack, one
assumes due to subsidence under it, the road outside has also developed
cracks and a definite dip, and the porch fell off a couple of years ago.
How long are such fixes supposed to last I wonder, these were put up in the
1960s.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 13 April 2021 at 12:17:14 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
Just over three years ago I had a major loft conversion done on my
semi-detached sixties bungalow: the process included removing and
replacing
all the existing ground floor ceilings and building above them with a
timber
carcass and new roof.

As expected, everything took a while to settle and establish itself and
there was some evidence of a small amount of movement, most noticeable in
the fit of a couple of sliding doors. But before long everything was
fine.

Then in the last few weeks, the new ceilings/loft area floors suddenly
became startlingly noisy, emitting what I can best describe as
intermittent
sharp (and loud) cracks. Since this mostly happens towards evening I'm
inclined to put it down to expansion and contraction, though there are
also
isolated incidents of it during the day.

Am I right? And if so, why is it happening now? And should I be
concerned?

Many thanks.

That does not sound good, do you live in a former mining area or is the
area prone to sink holes. Some creaking is not usually an issue but loud
cracks suggest further investigation is needed?

Richard