Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default De-ice the car properly!

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I have noted that my more energy efficient diesel car takes much longer
to warm up than the previous petrol ones I had.

Yes. Some diesels have much larger alternators and an electric heater to
warm them faster - some Focus diesels had that ... a 1kW electric
heater! Unfortunately, mine didn't, and it would often take 4 or 5 miles
to really get warmed up. My current car is petrol and is much better in
that respect.

Surely a direct diesel burning heater makes more sense?

Nope, you would have to have expensive emission control on
that to satisfy the regulations. Its there already with the engine.

You could set that going before you get to the car in the morning?

Yes, but you can with the engine too.